Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Lighting of the Lantern

Non nobis, Domine, sed Nomine Tuo da gloriam!

These are the words of a beautiful, Latin hymn that has been sung for centuries. It means, "Not for us, Lord, but for the glory of your name." With these words, I wish to dedicate the opening of my blog to the Sacred Heart of Our Lord, Jesus Christ, the Light of the Salvation and King of eternity. I pray through the beautiful hands of His holy Mother, Our Lady of the Angels, that this blog will be as a lantern in the darkness of world, illuminating beauty and joy.

Welcome to Lantern's Light, my foot in the door to the world of the net. Night has fallen, and the world is dark, but don't fear. The flame has sparked, the light is kindled. Let's embark on a journey through the wilds, crossing swords, encountering saints and sinners, reading dusty manuscripts, eating lembas and and drinking wine, having hearty laughs and tears of sorrow. In short, let us enjoy the gift of life!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There, now that was properly dignified for the official inauguration of the blog - now the disclaimers. My posts will likely be quite random. I am apt to speak my mind about whatever comes into my head. I am am also, to my own disappointment, not an outlaw of Sherwood, a shieldmaiden of royal blood, or a maiden locked away in a tower in a distant land. I am an ordinary human being in a thoroughly modern world. I Most of my adventures take place in the literature I read or the manuscripts I write. I have no palfrey or unicorn steed - I ride in a van. I do not write in calligraphy upon scrolls of parchment or vellum - I use Microsfot Word. You are thus warned that it won't be quite as grand an adventure as I've made out. But, in the words of one of my favourite authors, G.K. Chesterton, "A man could, if he felt rightly in the matter, run after his hat with the manliest ardour and the most sacred joy." And it is true, that though I at least, am not 1000 page epic material (if you are, get in touch with me!), I am engaged on the divine quest that is greater than any - everyday life. And the purpose of quest? Ah, it's a fabulous and perialous task, but it is so widespread that many do not even realize it has been laid upon them - the task of journeying to the City of God, and making a dwelling there with the Lord. Now that's worth living for. Enjoy the trip.

2 comments:

Rose Marchen said...

Welcome dear sister! May your stay in the blogsphere be long and happy!

Anonymous said...

I loved your inaugual message. May your blog live long and shine a much needed light in our dark age. Good luck!