Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Random Thoughts on Christmas Eve

Good day, my dear friends. I am, without warning, in a mood for blogging today. I have truly no idea what I am to write, but hopefully something of at leat a little merit will arise.

Well, let's see. Over the last few days I indulged in my taste for film in a very small way by piecing together a mock trailer for a non-existant film of Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park". I read the book this past year, and despite numerous warnings that I would not enjoy this 'black sheep' of the Austen canon to any great degree, I was happily surprised to find that I did, especially since I also read the "scandalous" play they nearly perform in it, "Lovers' Vows" (please don't be shocked - it's milder than some of the things Jane Austen puts in her books, and is an extremely moral story about extremely proper people. I can't help but think JA was poking a bit of fun at Fanny and Edmund by having them so upset by it). However, I have yet to see any of the three film adpations, having been warned by the other ladies (and a few gentlemen!) of the Republic of Pemberley that two of the three versions are rather unfaithful to the book (Slavery? A vivacious Fanny Price? Fanny actually accepting - ugh - Henry Crawford?). The remainging one, an old BBC production, is rather hard to find. I suppose I could look on Amazon... Yes... But, in any case, I have not seen any film of MP. For this reason, I decided to cast some actors from films in my own selection of DVDs as Austen's characters, and edit them into a trailer. Heavily relying on films like "Rossini's Ghost" and "Persuasion", with about six films in all, and using music from Leonardo de Fillipis' "Therese", I'm rather pleased with the end product. Unfortunately, I can't post it for copyright reasons, but I certainly enjoyed it.


Well, The Tale of Despereaux film has been released, I believe. I don't know how it's doing in box offices, and I don't care at all. Ordinarily I am not a purist, and enjoy a film adaption of a book as much as any other, but somehow Kate DiCamillo's wonderful book, which everyone ought to read, is not compatible with 3D, CGI animation. No. Please read the book - a perfectly crafted story, nominally for children, but truly a piece of art for anyone. I believe C.S. Lewis said something to the effect that a children's book that cannot be read with enjoyment and profit by adults is a bad children's book. This is certainly not a bad children's book. Please, treat yourself to the beauty of this tale of darkness, light, a mouse, a princess, a needle, and a bowl of soup.

But not in the cinema.

Last night was our family's annual viewing of "The Muppet Christmas Carol". Sometime this evening we will likely have our annual viewing of the Alistair Sims "A Christmas Carol" (Yes, I have read the book many times). Since the Muppet version is still fresh in my mind, I might as well dash off a bit about that as well. I must say that while it is definitely not the Dickens story, it is certainly an enjoyable romp. Michael Caine as Scrooge is fair. Gonzo and Rizzo, in their first time cast together, are just as delightful as they are in "Muppet Treasure Island". Our family loves Scrooge's nephew, Fred, dearly, and this Fred tops those of every serious adaption of the classic. He just exudes joy and makes you smile. Some songs are rather forgettable - for instance, "Bless Us All" - but some I can't help but enjoy. I especially like "There Goes Mr. Scrooge", with it's wonderful opening in a minor key, and the darkening of the streets as Scrooge traverses London, and the Ghost of Christmas Present's jolly "It Feels Like Christmas" - I think it's the people in wonderful 1830's fashions dancing around teh square that does it. Speaking of fashions, this adaption actually follows them very well during the "Christmas Past" sequence. For instance, When Scrooge is a young boy, we see tricorn hats, knee-breeches, and ruffles abounding - very 1780's. By the time of 'Fozzywig's' Christmas Party, Fozzy certainly is wearing a wig very much in keeping with the 1790's, and Belle's gown reminds me of Marguerite's in "The Scarlet Pimpernel". Some years later, when Scrooge and Belle go their seperate ways, any Jane Austen fan can describe their regency fashions without even seeing the film. And then, of course, the wonderful corkscrew curls and toppers of the 1830's present. Marvelous!

Well, I really ought to make myself useful about the house - and I'm afraid I've a few gifts to wrap. Good heavens, everything I've written has been related in some manner or other to film! How embarassing. At any rate, Happy Advent! Hopefully I'll be here to wish you all a merry Christmas on the morrow.

1 comment:

Delaney said...

I don't want to see the "Despereaux" movie. If they had to make a movie, they could have at least tried to make the animation somewhat attractive! And I think the story is too reminiscent of Ratatouille for it to do really well in the Box Office (although I personally think Despereaux as a story is superior to Ratatouille.)