
Well, as some of you may know, I've been working away on a screenplay for sometime, on and off. The goal is to produce a faithful, six episode miniseries of Charles Dickens' "Barnaby Rudge". At present I am in the second episode and somewhat revising the first. I have to say, I am very fond of the way I'm pulling Barnby himself off, though i can't find much of interest to do with Gabriel Varden. Why must he be so necessarily - normal? Oh well, it is all Dickens' fault for publishing the novel as a serial, and thinking at first that boring old Varden would be the main character at first. Thankfully, he'll change his mind soon- I hope. I'm going to try to find a way of focusing more on Barnaby in the first couple of episodes than happens in the book.
At any rate, I'm going to turn it over to Lady Clare, the Captain, and another friend of ours whom I will call Gonzalo, after the character he is playing in our production of "The Tempest". They are graciously going to red pen it for me, so that I can improve my poor little unfinished screenplay. I will only be giving them approximately a quarter to a half of the first epsiode. See if it would actually catch anyone's interest were it to hit the screen. All three of them are splendid writers, I must add. We are all members of "The Weavers", our campus Writers' Club, which Captain Quicksilver founded. However, this post is getting dreadfully dull, but it fulfills my urge to type something up for "The Minstrel". I doubt anyone actually reads this - oh well. I shall be like the barber who whispered to the reeds, "Our prince has donkey's ears!" soully for his own good.
Anyway, at present we have Barnaby dashing through the fields to deliver a message to the Warren, Mr. Chester riding in his carriage (accompanied by suitably ominous music), the Maypolers sitting about in their tavern being country bumpkins and knowing everything, and Sim Tappertit about to attend a secret underground meeting of the prentice kngihts, plotting the day when they'll overthrow everything...
No comments:
Post a Comment